Sunday, June 17, 2012

2012 book 165

Shani Boianjiu's The People of Forever Are Not Afraid
I was intrigued when I heard this book was about a group of young women serving in the Israeli army (I studied abroad in Tel Aviv and was friendly with some Israelis, but they didn't talk about the army much--plus it was 2000 and things were relatively peaceful there then)--but this book was so much more INTENSE than I was expecting. The three main characters are all somewhat damaged before they even get to the army, but their experiences there . . . well, it made me extra glad that I live a cushy American-Jewish life.  It's a great, great book and should be popular with literary fiction readers (it's already getting a lot of buzz), but parts of it are very hard to read. A-.

__
An e-galley was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in September.

No comments: