Tuesday, June 19, 2012

2012 book 167

Margaret Atwood's The Year of the Flood
I've been meaning to read this for a few years, and don't know why I didn't read it sooner--it's a sequel/companion to Atwood's Oryx and Crake, which I remember liking. Of course, I read it before this blog ever existed, so all I remember is  . . . someone sitting on a beach? Luckily, Flood works just as well as a standalone, focusing on two women who've survived the plague in isolation, spending their time remembering their shared past in a vegetarian cult (b/c of course they know each other--this book has way too many coincidences like that). I admit to wishing they'd meet up sooner rather than later, but the story is still fairly compelling until that point, and pretty action-packed after. I do love a dystopian novel and this was a good one. Apparently it's also the middle part of a trilogy, which I find extra-intriguing. A-/B+.

No comments: