Friday, July 27, 2012

2012 book 197

Rachel Hartman's Seraphina
So I have this general rule--a completely random one, really--where I avoid reading fantasy books with dragons. I mean, you have to draw the line somewhere. But this was getting really positive reviews, and then I found out that this Rachel Hartman is the same Rachel Hartman who wrote one of my all-time favorite graphic novels, and all rules went out the window. (Plus, this book turns out to be set in the same world!) Anyway, it's about the half-dragon musical prodigy Seraphina, trying to hide her dragon-ness in a world with an uneasy peace between humans and dragons. Lots of political intrigue, interesting mythology and world-building, a little bit of romance, and some humor. I look forward to reading whatever comes next in this series, even with dragons! A-.

No comments: