Saturday, November 17, 2012

2012 book 329

Tanya Huff's The Silvered
I think I've only read one book by Huff before, but that might have to change, because this one was pretty great. It's got complicated--but really fascinating--world-building, but basically a country of werewolves/wolf shapeshifters (only some aren't shapeshifters, some are Mages and can control different elements, I don't know) is at war with The Empire, a country all about science and determined to stamp out the abominations. And to that end, they kidnap five powerful lady-Mages for their own (creepy) purposes, leading one young wolf and a young lady-Mage who hasn't done super well at Mage School on a fantasy epic road trip (lots of fantasies involve epic road trips) to rescue them. We also get to know a few soldiers on the Empire's side who are tasked with dealing with all these Mage ladies. I really enjoyed the characters here and Huff keeps things moving along at a good clip. I believe this is the start of a series, but for once things do actually wrap up, which was SO SATISFYING. I think I'll give it an A just for having a proper ending! (And lots of badass ladies.)

No comments: