Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2012 book 28

C. Robert Cargill's Dreams and Shadows
This book . . . this book was not my thing. It seemed like it should have been my thing-- a literary-ish fantasy novel about a young boy kidnapped by fairies; his very unpleasant changeling; and another young boy who encounters a djinn, and all their dealings with the fairy kingdom (and with Austin, Texas). I totally loooved the opening part; it was delightfully sad and creepy. Buttttttttt. I didn't really like the rest much. I never felt like I got to know the two human boys, and if I was supposed to feel sympathetic for the changeling, it was hard. Plus the plot is kind of not plotted enough. PLUS there are hardly any women! I could four who are more than incidental. 1) Alcoholic mom in one chapter. 2) Mom of the kidnapped boy who . . . well, spoilers, but she's not really proactive on her own. 3) A fairy woman who briefly causes trouble at the end. 4) The most prominent lady character, who gets I'd say 5th billing, and whose only personality trait is "IN LOVE WITH A DUDE." She actually, unironically, utters the phrase "my hero" MORE THAN ONCE. I just don't even know. This could have been so good! There's a bar where supernatural creatures hang out, and an interesting bookstore, and the main plot is just so BLAH.

The writing was nice but man, this book was not for me. C.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in February.

No comments: