Sunday, January 06, 2013

2013 book 7

Jennifer Haigh's News From Heaven: The Bakerton Stories
Haigh--author of the marvelous Faith, among other books--has written a series of connected short stories, all set in a coal mining town in central Pennsylvania, chronicling the town (and a couple of families in particular) from the 1930s to the present. There are several standouts--I particularly liked the story involving a young Polish girl going to New York to work for a well-off Jewish family, and loved everything involving Joyce Novak, but all the stories are stellar. I have loved everything I've read by Haigh, and this is no exception--she's a brilliant writer, and one of the few very literary writers I can recommend to just about everyone. Particularly of interest to my Pittsburgh/Pennsylvania friends! A, and an early contender for my favorites of 2013 list.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on January 29th.

No comments: