Friday, March 01, 2013

2013 book 70

Kathleen Tierney's Blood Oranges
I was about to write this entry when I went to doublecheck who Tierney was a pen name for--and discovered that it's not Cate Tiernan (whose books I like), but Caitlin Kiernan (whose books I've never read). So that partially explains my disappointment with this book, an urban fantasy about a junkie demon hunter turned vampire/werewolf, which is a promising concept. The problems are that I wasn't really into the narrative voice--I liked that the protagonist is openly unreliable, but her voice was grating--or the plot--it's one of those books where someone is manipulating things behind the scenes, and the protagonist goes and gets info from someone, who leads her to someone else, who leads her to someone else, and it's BORING. I didn't care who was manipulating things or why. This book needed some entertaining sidekick characters--a likable bridge troll comes closest but is a very minor figure--or something else to break the monotony. I mean, the concept is GREAT. I just didn't care. C.

No comments: