Friday, April 19, 2013

2013 book 115

Brian Kimberling's Snapper
I can see why this is getting a lot of advance praise--the writing is really strong and I loved the narrative voice. The problem is that I didn't actually care about anything that happened. Well, that's not entirely true--I was pretty engaged in the first half, where a young Indiana man takes a job studying birds, and there's also an interesting interlude with his Texan aunt and uncle. But then, he's in love with a girl who's not that into him (and who is basically a manic pixie dream girl from his POV), and there's some stuff with his high school friends, and it's all slightly out of order and reads like a series of interconnected short stories. Like, each part is fine on its own (I loved the one where he spends time in jail), but put together, they don't really tell a whole story, or at least not one I was very interested in. This is another one of those books where I have no idea what the point of it was. I wish it had been more about the birds, that stuff was great. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on Tuesday.

No comments: