Sunday, April 21, 2013

2013 book 117

Kelly Thompson's The Girl Who Would Be King
Just the other day on here I was lamenting the lack of novels involving superpowered people, and then remembered I've had this on my Kindle for like, forever. Thompson writes about comics and I enjoy her essays a lot, so when she did a Kickstarter for her superhero novel, I contributed. Anyway, it's about two teenage girls who come into their superhero powers, and realize they're sort of two halves of the same coin. Thompson manages to make the "bad guy" one pretty sympathetic, and obviously the good guy one ("good girl" sounds wrong) is likable, especially once she gets a kitten. Things alternate between their perspectives, and I wish each section had gone on longer, b/c it's kind of jarring to go between two stories like every two pages. And the end is . . . I had major mixed feelings about the end. But there's some interesting mythology, and it's about superheroes, so: B/B+.

No comments: