Tuesday, May 07, 2013

2013 book 134

Lauren Roedy Vaughn's OCD, The Dude, and Me
This is one of those books you could easily read in one sitting (in fact, I had to force myself not to, in order to go to bed on time), because the narrative voice is so engaging and compelling. It's the story of Danielle's senior year, told through journal entries, emails, class assignments, and other miscellany, and it's GREAT. Even when completely down on herself, Danielle is funny and sympathetic, and I loved watching her learn and grow, and also I cried a LOT. The Big Lebowski doesn't come into things until like 2/3rds of the way through, but makes everything more awesome, obviously. I will say that I was a little annoyed at the sheer quantity of typos in the last couple of chapters--it's like the copy editor ran out of time or something--but whatever, this was a really good read. A/A-.

No comments: