Sunday, May 19, 2013

2013 book 145

Garth Nix's Sabriel
I'm not sure how I'd never read this before--a book about a badass girl with a magic cat should have been on my radar!--so was glad when it turned out to be the May selection for FYA book group. And it wasn't quite what I was expecting--it IS about a badass girl, but one who's trained to stop the Dead from doing bad things, and what happens when she goes to rescue her father, trapped by the Dead, and also there is a magic cat (who is enslaved? But maybe ok with it? I was not sure about this part). And a dude trapped in wood. And some creepy zombie type things. It was a little darker than I had anticipated, and the first half is a bit slow (lots of journeying), but things pick up quickly enough, and the second half was great. AND there are apparently two sequels to read! B+.

No comments: