Saturday, May 25, 2013

2013 book 149

Mur Lafferty's The Shambling Guide to New York City
Full disclosure: I have met Mur Lafferty several times (I used to work at Chapel Hill Comics, where, by the way, she will be doing a signing on June 1st) and think she is super nice, so I wasn't really reading this with a critical eye or anything.

Anyway, this was a really entertaining urban fantasy where protagonist Zoe, after leaving her job in Raleigh more-or-less in disgrace (read: sleeping with her married boss), has moved back to NYC and is looking for a job--and finds one, at a publisher staffed by, well, vampires and sprites and other mythical creatures. And like that isn't enough to deal with, it seems like someone is bent on sabotage--or more! Like I said, this was a really fun read, and reminded me a little bit of Seanan Macguire's Discount Armageddon series (monsters in the big city and whatnot). It did suffer a bit from my pet peeve, a lack of contractions that make the writing seem stilted and awkward, but that might just be me. I think this is ripe for a sequel and I'd definitely read one. B+.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on Tuesday.

No comments: