Thursday, July 10, 2014

2014 book 166

Merritt Tierce's Love Me Back
Oh man, I'm not sure where to start with this one. First--the writing is AMAZING. Really strong, really evocative. But man, it's one of those books where you want to give the protagonist a shake and scream, "Get your life together!" Said protagonist is a young waitress, a teenage mom, working at a fancy steakhouse and living a life full of sex and drugs. I have never worked in a restaurant, but have heard stories from friends who have, and it seems like Tierce really nails that atmosphere. She also totally nails the experience of watching a girl with all the potential in the world just kind of fall apart. There's a lot of sex, but most of it isn't sexy in the slightest--it's all so seedy and sad. And yet I really liked this! But boy, did it make me glad I'm not a teenager/early twentysomething anymore. A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in September.

No comments: