Tuesday, September 02, 2014

2014 book 212

Seanan McGuire's The Winter Long
It feels like the Toby Daye series is winding down, and I admit to being a little relieved--they're getting a bit repetitive at this point. Just how many mysteries about Toby's identity can there be? How many times can she change out of a bloody shirt (three or four in this book) or wake up after passing out (four or five in this book)? It also feels like she's drawing on some of her other works here (particularly Indexing), which is fine, it just adds to the sense of repetition for a McGuire completest. I was also a little annoyed that, although we find out WHO was behind the kidnapping and other assorted things that turned Toby into a fish, we still don't know WHY! And Toby never tells people who are kind of invested in the situation! I mean, I still enjoy the characters (particularly the Luidaeg, who gets some good development here), but I'm ready for the endgame already. B.

No comments: