Monday, September 15, 2014

2014 book 221

Jennifer Clement's Prayers for the Stolen
I'm not really sure what to say about this one--it starts off strong, if you like very depressing but beautifully written books (I do)--but kind of goes off the rails in the last third. I did like the end, though? Anyway, it's about a girl growing up in a tiny village in the mountains outside Acapulco, a village where the men all leave and the young girls are all stolen, so their mothers try and hide their beauty to protect them. The story starts to suffer when the girl (I guess I should mention that her name is Ladydi, as in Princess Diana) manages to escape to try and make a better life for herself--I just felt like all of that needed to be fleshed out a lot more. Like I said, I really liked the ending, which made up for some of what came before. B/B+.

No comments: