Tuesday, June 02, 2015

2015 book 137

Jessica Lawson's Nooks and Crannies
At first I couldn't get over how predictable this book was (I mean, if you've ever read any books before) and was a little disappointed, because I like middle-grade mysteries. Then Lawson through in a couple of twists I didn't see coming, and I could just enjoy this charming story--about a reclusive Countess who invites six children to her home for the weekend, to try and discover which is her heir! Our main character loves detective stories and is determined to solve the mystery--along with several other mysteries that crop up. There is also a super awesome pet mouse involved. The only kind of false note is that the parents of several of the children are EVEN WORSE than, like,  Roald Dahl parents, and since this isn't really a comedic story, it's a bit jarring. I loved the way this wrapped up though. B/B+.

No comments: