Saturday, June 20, 2015

2015 book 150

Robin Benway's Emmy and Oliver
Benway's latest (after The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June, along with some other books I haven't read) centers on teenage Emmy, whose best friend/next door neighbor was kidnapped by his father when they were seven--and now, ten years later, he's coming home. There are some good parts here--I liked Emmy's relationship with her friends, and with her father--but most of this book is suuuuuper cheesy. I mean, it's an engaging read? But it's all really . . . obvious. Emmy's whole characterization is that she has overprotective parents and she rebels by SURFING. It's mildly ridiculous? And seeing Oliver's experience and emotions through her eyes, instead of his, really lessens them. I'm sure this will be popular with actual teenagers but it didn't really do much for me. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on Tuesday.

No comments: