Tuesday, June 16, 2015

2015 book 147

Michelle Cooper's The FitzOsbornes in Exile
The second Montmoray book finds Sophie and her family in England in 1937 and 1938, and besides being generally delightful and charming, there are plenty of references to the Mitfords and the Kennedys (Kick Kennedy is actually a character and JFK appears a couple times too--DID YOU KNOW that Kick Kennedy and Pamela Mitford were sisters-in-law? I mean, a few years after the events of this novel). I freaking love Mitfords and Kennedys. ANYWAY. A lot of times with YA books, I feel like it's too modern POV/ahistorical for the upper class characters to be pro-Jew, anti-Nazi, etc, but these characters have plenty of reasons to hate Germany and be against appeasement, which is nice, I guess. UGH sorry, I am tired and only talked about the Mitfords when they aren't even really in it and there is so much good stuff here (secretly gay/bisexual boys! Fighting for justice for one's home! Ladies getting s--- done! etc). I also appreciate the lack of attention on romance (well, none of the main characters are really interested in it, despite their aunt's efforts to marry them all off) since there are way more important things going on. I totally want to start the final book right this second but I need to get to bed at a reasonable hour, alas. A/A-.

No comments: