Monday, September 05, 2016

2016 book 155

Melina Marchetta's Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
When one of my favorite YA authors writes her first novel for adults, you had better believe I am THERE for it. And it's Marchetta at her best--some parts made me cry, but ultimately it gave me hope. Which is saying a lot, since it centers on the bombing of a bus of teenagers, and on the father of one of the girls, who is attempting to investigate the crime--which might relate to a major bombing from thirteen years earlier. But it is also about family, and love, and friendship, and grief. These characters all feel so real and are so compelling--Marchetta excels at characters--but the mystery-ish plot works really well too. I had to force myself not to stay up all night reading it. I mean,  I guess you could argue that some parts were a little pat, but I don't WANT to argue that, I just want to keep feeling how this book made me feel.  A.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in October.

No comments: