Thursday, September 29, 2016

2016 book 164

Silvia Moreno-Garcia's Certain Dark Things
At first when I heard about this book, I was like, are vampires coming back into fashion? I don't wanna read a vampire book. But Moreno-Garcia has a lot of goodwill with me due to her first book, so I figured what the hey! Anyway, this centers on a street kid in Mexico City--a place where vampires are supposed to be banned, except the pretty girl he meets on the subway turns out to be a vampire, on the run from a vampire drug war. I really like the way Moreno-Garcia uses vampire folklore from different cultures and thought this was super compelling, though found the psychopathic vampire chasing the vampire girl to be pretty gross (I mean, I know that's the point, just like, giving you all a content warning). I thought the end was fitting but did wish it went on for just a bit longer--or maybe I just cared about the characters and wanted to know what would happen to them, after! In summary, if you are gonna read a vampire book, this one is a pretty solid choice. B+.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on October 25th.

No comments: