Monday, September 26, 2016

2016 book 163

Maria Semple's Today Will Be Different
Semple's latest is in the same mold as her bestselling Where'd You Go, Bernadette, dealing as it does with frazzled motherhood and marriage in a complicated age, but it doesn't hold together quite as well for me. It has some really intriguing parts--I loved the parts about the protagonist's long-ago work as the art director of a cartoon show, and the reveal of her family background was very well done--but it is a bit scattered, and the end just felt very abrupt. Now, it is also highly readable and entertaining! Semple is super funny and I love the way she tells a story. This just kind of veered away from being compelling and then came to a screeching halt, sort of. B/B+.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on October 4th.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I totally agree with your assessment of this book. It felt lesser, but still so fun! I feel like Maria Semple is going to be one of those writers I just always read. It was a good one to read after Uprooted which was so violent & long.

Alicia K. said...

Agreed re: Semple as a must-read author!