Monday, July 11, 2005

bpal/rock show

tonight began with the fun and exciting bpal sniffing evening, as blogged in greater detail by sarah, lisa, and pinky. great fun was had by all, i think we made brand new addicts of erin and pinky, and i was pleased to smell lots of interesting scents and add some to my ever-expanding wishlist. sarah and i had our first swap--i'm totally excited to test endymion, which has a great pear smell! by the way, i have tried several scents over the past few days, but won't blog about them just yet b/c i would like to get some sleep tonight.

anyway, after the sniff-fest i headed to the cradle for an evening o' rock--the first band, the magic markers, was godawful--within three seconds of their start, i had put in earplugs to try and block the noise (and i never wear earplugs--along with driving fast, that's just part of my reckless rock star lifestyle. actually i just hate how everything sounds underwater when i wear them). their 25 minute performance felt like 25 hours; i surmised that they were part of a plot by the cradle to sell more beer, since everyone was fleeing to the back, and kate quipped that they must have been sniffing magic markers before they went on.

luckily superchunk came on soon thereafter, making up for the hellish opener. in an adorable tribute to dinosaur jr, they only played songs from their first three albums. i did not wear earplugs to better enjoy the AWESOME ROCK. superchunk has put on a stellar live show every time i've seen them--they are one of the most fun live bands, ever.

dino jr, of course, was also awesome. i did put the earplugs back in for them, b/c their speakers were taller than they were, and i do value my hearing a little bit. it's fascinating to watch a dude w/ long gray hair rock out--josh said j. mascis looked like albus dumbledore, and i realized that's why he kind of looks weird--anyone w/ long gray hair should totally have a long gray beard to match! speaking of hair, and confidential to the dude who was standing in front of me, if you're a dude who's thinning on top, don't let the rest of your hair get really shaggy. we all remember what michael bolton looked like in the early 90s--do you really want to make that same mistake? just sayin'.

besides the music, the highlight of dino jr was some girl getting on stage and kissing j mascis right smack on the lips. what the hell! it was crazy, man.

i actually left early b/c i like to get more than 5 hours of sleep on a work night, if it's at all possible. anyway, i was mostly there to see superchunk. :) sacrilege, i know!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That girl totally got up on stage two more times to molest him; finally somebody peeled her off of him and sent her back into the crowd. Hee!

Alicia K. said...

WHAT THE HELL!

i mean, he's a talented guy and all, but i never really saw him as a sex object kind of guy!

pinky pinkerson said...

last night was fun!

and....I can't believe some girl was THAT sexually obsessed with J. Mascis. I've uh, never thought of him quite that way, even 100 years ago when I saw Dinosaur Jr./Superchunk in my hometown.

(oh, if only I had a commemorative ticket stub)

Alicia K. said...

heck yeah--we'll all have to meet up again when we get more imps!

and we don't need paper evidence to know that you're the proverbial coolest girl in school. :)

David said...

I thought that the Majik Markers were awesome. I saw the before and liked it and was even more blown away this time. I was right up front at the stage and that girl crawled on me. It was completely unpredictable and out of control and I liked. This is not meant to invalidate your impression--I realize that I am probably in the minority, but it was really one of the better things I have seen in a while. Charisma!

I love Dinosaur. I think that is clear. But, I left after the third song. Too loud. Too hot. Too many people. I couldn't take it and freaked out.

Alicia K. said...

the majik markers did seem to have some fans--i assumed it was because there were two cute girls. just kidding, i know some people do like noisy stuff, it's just not my own personal taste--it always seems like noise just for the sake of noise, to me.

David said...

It is noise for noise, but the singer is so exciting to watch. I think it was better right up on it becuase you could see her rolling around and yelling at people and grabbing heads better.

Alicia K. said...

good point--i was on the ledge-thing on the side, and we couldn't see what she was doing at all. she would just periodically disappear, and we'd have to watch the other girl, who looked sort of bored.

pinky pinkerson said...

occasionally, in life - I have been in the right place at the right time, and that's what's really cool :-)

(and you know what I remember about that show? absolutely nothing, except it was LOUD)

Anonymous said...

Majik Markers are amazing! Everything is nosie. Killy yr Head!

Alicia K. said...

thank you for your comment, anonymous person in kentucky who reached my site by googling "majik markers". i will refrain from mocking your typos, but just b/c i'm in a good mood.