Sunday, July 10, 2005

the wusses!!

so, yay, i made it to raleigh and back on my spare tire! my dad had cautioned me not to drive above 50 mph, but of course it was physically impossible for me to drive that slow on 40--i did manage to stay right at the speed limit thanks to cruise control, and even managed to control my usual speeding (despite the fact that even mormons were passing me) through fear of a fiery death.

anyway, after a yummy dinner at udupi and some robot chicken reruns, jason and i headed over to king's where we ran into lots of awesome people, including several of my favorite bloggers and several of my favorite rock stars (the rosebuds were even in costume--so cute!).

unfortunately for keith, who arrived only in time to hear their last song, the wusses went on first (which was bullshit, b/c they were WAYYYY better than the hall and oates cover band, who were only notable for oates losing his mustache) and regaled us with all of our favorite 70s soft rock tunes (i still know all the words to "sister golden hair" and will sing along with impunity with only one sparks under my belt. to further point out my lack of coolness, my very first cds, purchased when i was 12, were america's greatest hits and james taylor's greatest hits. to be fair to my parents, my dad did instill some excellent musical tastes in me at a young age, but i guess i've always had a soft spot for the soft rock). the wusses, of course, consist of several rock luminaries, from bands including sorry about dresden, cantwell gomez & jordan, razzle, torch marauder, erie choir, hotel motel, and chamber corps. and if it's possible to simultaneously fall in love briefly with seven men in bad wigs and/or bad pants, then i definitely did tonight, b/c they are amazing performers (especially dave bjorkback, who is one of the most charismatic frontmen/dudes who occasionally paint themselves blue that i have ever seen). i hadn't seen them since the great cover-up, and i won't be making the mistake of missing any more of their shows (i really hope they'll be doing more shows).

a highlight of the show may have been hepler serenading his wife a la billy joel in honor of her birthday--she jumped up and down in surprised delight, and every girl in the audience went, "awwww!" it was pretty friggin' adorable.

i was kicking myself all evening for forgetting my camera--although i'm not sure i could have captured their hilarious and endearing energy anyway.

quite a good night, and worth risking life and limb for.

don't worry, i'm getting my tire patched on monday. :)

No comments: