Tuesday, August 29, 2006

2006 book 99

A.B. Yehoshua's A Woman in Jerusalem
Woohoo, new Yehoshua novel! He's one of my favorite writers and this book did not disappoint. Shorter and less epic than many of his works, this story of a bakery's human resources manager trying to track down the identity of a woman killed in a terrorist attack is by turns bittersweet, hilarious, and heartbreaking. I'm pretty sure I once wrote a paper (in college, no doubt--it's such a college paper) arguing that with the publication of his then-latest work, A Journey to the End of the Millennium, the focus of his novels had shifted from Israel's relationship with external forces to internal forces battling within Israeli society--of course, this was at a time when things were going well with the peace talks, so that argument holds less weight now. That's all moot when it comes to this present novel, and I'm not in the analytical frame of mind anymore--I just know that I liked it a lot!

Anyway, my kitten is currently scratching the hell out of my legs as he attacks my shorts, so this seems as good a time as any to wrap it up. Book 100 is next!! I wonder what I'll decide is worthy of the honor of being my ONE HUNDREDTH BOOK OF THE YEAR!

No comments: