Friday, August 25, 2006

i give up

I've given up on the book I've been reading all week--over a hundred pages into it, I still didn't care about the characters and just wished I was done, already. Then I remembered something Pinky said to me earlier this week: No law says you have to finish a library book.

So, Peter Orner's The Second Coming of Mavala Shikongo, I'm through with you! You were disappointing all around--I vaguely remember liking Orner's Esther Stories but he was way out of his element writing about Namibia (even if he has lived there) and his 1-3 page chapter, multiple narrator, annoying American-in-Namibia thing was no fun at all.

This is the first book I've given up on in a while (usually I slog through them looking for a redeeming quality, or to boost my numbers at least) but I see no reason to make myself crazy for 200 more pages.

1 comment:

pinky pinkerson said...

it's true! cut your losses and move on.

although I just finished a book that started out strong and petered out, and I kind of wish I'd just returned it after Grainne got married.

("Deafening" - a rather dramatic title)