Monday, June 11, 2007

2007 book 82

Michael Ondaatje's Divasadero
I'm not really sure where to start with this one. The first half centers on two sisters and a young man who works on their farm; they are torn apart and the novel follows their three divergent lives. Then suddenly it becomes the story of a writer one of the sisters is researching. Um, what? I kept waiting for it to get back to the main plotline, but it doesn't. In retrospect, the second half is stronger, but when you're waiting for the conclusion of some other story entirely, it's hard to get into it. B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have NEVER read ANYTHING by Michael Ondaatje and I'd like to change that. Where should I start--with the obvious (The English Patient), or somewhere else?

Help me, o wordnerdy, you're my only hope!

Alicia K. said...

English Patient is pretty great, but I also really enjoyed Anil's Ghost. I own at least one other book by him but can't think of what it is, so I guess it wasn't too memorable. :)