Sunday, June 03, 2007

summer tv

Ah, summer. The time of year all tv fans dread; the time of year they all expand their Netflix subscriptions. Luckily there are TWO food-related reality shows to see us through these dark times! The Next Food Network Star premiered tonight (one early notable character starred in The Mighty Ducks 2 and 3) and season 3 of Top Chef begins on Wednesday. Hooray for food-related drama! But please let is my less head-shaving heart-breaking drama than we saw on season 2 of Top Chef. That almost killed me for food-related competitions for good--except that I'm really bored. I was hoping to get hooked on the cheesiness of The Starter Wife, but it was too stupid for me to even make it through one episode.

Luckily here in North Florida we're only half an hour from Georgia and get the Georgia Public Broadcasting network, which has been pretty outstanding lately thanks to pledge drive season. I got to watch several hours' of Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel and almost called my mom to ask her to mail all the books to me so I can reread them!

GPB is also the station that got me into the Vicar of Dibley several months ago; after seeing an episode that ended with a raunchy jokes about three nuns going to heave, I netflixed the entire series and fell in love. Imagine my joy last weekend when, flipping through the channels, I caught the 2006 Christmas and New Year's specials that I hadn't even known existed. They were a sweet and funny capstone to a classy and hilarious series, and the sheer randomness of catching them on a night at a time that GPB doesn't usually air the show felt like a special present to me and warmed my cynical and tv-snobby little heart.

Back to food tv star competition! I'm hoping the show pulls out another Dan and Steve and not another Guy Fieri, b/c that dude is pretty annoying.

Other pleasant tv surprises tonight: TMC's Wizard of Oz/Spirited Away double feature. Nice!

6 comments:

js said...

off tha hook!

who is the mighty ducks contestant? pacey? the statue of liberty play guy?

Alicia K. said...

Nah, the blonde chick. I was gonna be all "click the link!" and then saw the link was fubared.

pinky pinkerson said...

I love the Vicar of Dibley! I, too have been searching the tv schedule for shows to get me through the summer. Evidently "Friday Night Lights" is supposed to be good. And I just found that Andy Richter Saves The Universe and Arrested Development are on one of my hd channels, so I'll be recording those, too. If I had Bravo (stupid local TWC!) I'd watch Top Chef. Hmph.

Alicia K. said...

I have Friday Night Lights on my Netflix queue . . . and I'm hoping it will come out sometime before September. I'm about to start watching Kitchen Confidential (the sitcom one) and also have an extremely silly britcom called "My Hero" which is sort of like Mork and Mindy meets the 1960s-era Batman tv show, only British.

Alicia K. said...

Heh, I just noticed all the typos in this entry. I was trying to type it up quickly during a commercial break and clearly wasn't paying attention to what actually ended up on screen!

DarcyPennell said...

We watched the Wizard of Oz / Spirited Away double feature too!