Tuesday, November 13, 2007

2007 book 161

I am CRUSHING my previous reading record! Plus Thanksgiving's coming up, which includes several flights and a whole week in Pittsburgh, i.e., lots more reading time!!

Philip Pullman's The Subtle Knife
One thing that strikes me about my copies of the series is the different covers. The first two I got from the YA section--they're trade paperback size, with somewhat somber pictures of Lyra, and then Lyra and Will. However, when it came time to read the third one, I was desperate! And the YA section didn't have it! So I asked a dude at whatever book chain I was perusing if they had copies in stock, and sure enough, they did--in the science fiction section! So my copy of this one is a mass market paperback size with an outrageously awful cover (that opens up to an even worse interior cover). Anyway, this one is more of the same, kids with important missions caught in an epic battle, angels on angels, lots of creatures of various types from various worlds, etc. Good times. The creatures with wheels always remind me of something--is it from the Wizard of Oz books?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the wheelers were characters in the Oz books. I can't remember when they show up. Later in the series, I think.

DarcyPennell said...

I think the Wheelers are in book 3? The one where Dorothy comes back, in a chicken coop, and Tik-Tok is introduced.

As I recall the Wheelers are shown to be bullies who are no actual threat, because they don't have hands so can't use weapons. I dunno, I think one of those wheels would make a nasty club.