Tuesday, November 06, 2007

book recommendations?

The blogs have been abuzz about What Should I Read Next?, which ostensibly is awesome at recommending books based on other books you love. However, I tried it out and was not impressed at all. I mean, some of the recommendations are really weird. Like, I loved The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and its pop culture references, but what does this website recommend for me? Plays by Samuel Beckett and Tom Stoppard, Crime and Punishment, The Divine Comedy.

I think this it perhaps because there aren't enough books in the system to get good comparisons, but most of my recommended lists were full of random classics and non-fiction, which isn't at all what I'm interested in reading (and my favorites list reflects that). I am always desperate for new stuff to read, but this website isn't coming close to finding things I'd like.

I think I'll stick with Amazon's recommendations for now--after all, they have 6+ years of my purchasing history to base their picks. Someone let me know if this new site gets good!

No comments: