Tuesday, November 13, 2007

minicomics

I recently read the first volumes of two minicomics that I think are arguably linked thematically--the first, How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less, tells of a young Jewish woman's trip on Birthright Israel, while the second, The Hookah Girl, is a bunch of short stories about a young Palestinian woman's experiences growing up in America. The latter doesn't get very deep (the stories are short, as I mentioned) but won me over with its paper doll versions of Palestinian women's identities and recipe for grape leaves; the former hasn't gotten too far yet, either, but was interesting enough to make me want to read the second volume whenever it comes out.

Anyway, I liked both of these a lot and figured I'd mention them--I'm all about chicks writing comics! Especially when it's stuff I'm interested in.

No comments: