Tuesday, January 15, 2008

2008 books 8 and 9

I read two books on the way back from Midwinter and started a third (which unfortunately appears to have been left at the baggage claim at TLH, which sucks b/c it looked promising--if anyone else got an advance copy of After River, can I borrow it?). JB needs attention so these will be brief:

Fiona Maazel's Last Last Chance
Wealthy eccentric family deals with drug addiction, kosher chickens, and the superplague. B+/B.

Eric Lerner's Pinkerton's Secret
Infamous detective saves Lincoln, frees slaves, hires a sassy woman as a detective--by the author of Bird on a Wire. B.

2 comments:

Christina said...

I just read Pinketon's Secret that apparently Jared borrowed from you when we were checking on Jimmy ages ago. I loved the style of writing and Pinkerton's character, but it kind of fizzled for me at the end.

Hot sex scenes, but I thought the character of Mrs. Warne could have been developed a bit more, too.

Alicia K. said...

I don't remember anything about this book at all, so I guess it wasn't that good or interesting in the long run. :)