Sunday, June 08, 2008

2008 book 79

William Goldman's The Princess Bride
This movie was on tv the other night and I realized it'd been a long time since I read the book, so of course I dug it out. And it was just as clever and fun as I remembered--really, it's a slightly brilliant book, and when I was a kid I really believed it was an abridgement and all of Goldman's notes were true--but then I got to the bit with the fire swamp and was like, eh, it's not as awesome from here, and put it down for a couple days. But then it was on again tonight so I picked it up and finished it, and actually it is pretty awesome throughout. I can't believe I almost missed "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father--prepare to die!" (That scene is actually on tv as I type this.) I really vacillate over which is better, the movie or the book--it's hard, b/c of course all the best lines from the book made it into Goldman's script for the movie--but currently I'm enjoying both.

4 comments:

christinamerge said...

We talked about how I sent the publisher $2 for the kissing scene, right?

Alicia K. said...

NO! I always wanted to do that but didn't know if the offer was still valid. Was it any good?

christinamerge said...

They just sent me this really densely written reason why they couldn't send me the kissing scene. It was like a big joke! My mom was very curious as to why her 13 yr old daughter was getting mail from a New York publisher. haha!

Alicia K. said...

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or disappointed by that . . . but I guess I'm mostly amused.