Tuesday, December 30, 2008

best books of 2008

I read a lot of really good books in 2008--according to Goodreads, I gave five stars to 26 of them--but somehow only a few seemed awesome enough to be BEST OF THE YEAR! So here are my nine favorites, in no particular order:

--Stephanie Kallos' Sing Them Home
--Selden Edwards' Little Book
--Kate Atkinson's When Will There Be Good News
--Hannah Tinti's Good Thief
--Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games
--Ron Rash's Serena
--David Wroblewski's The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
--Lauren Groff's Monsters of Templeton
--Geraldine Brooks' People of the Book (this may have technically come out in late December 2007)

Other titles I enjoyed: Telex from Cuba, I See you Everywhere, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, Nation, A Map of Home, What was Lost, Thirteen Reasons Why, Obedience, House on Fortune Street, The Age of Dreaming, Three Girls and their Brother, The Curse of the Spellman, The Girl who Stopped Swimming, Gonzalez and Daughter Trucking co.

Happy new year! Here's to a whole new year of books (and me hoping to break my record again, though 204 will be a toughie).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to see that THE MONSTERS OF TEMPLETON made your list. Lauren Groff's new book, DELICATE OTHER BIRDS AND OTHER STORIES, will be published January 27. If you'd like a review copy, send me your mailing address.

Allison (Publicity Mgr, Hyperion & Voice, allison.mcgeehon@abc.com)