Friday, December 05, 2008

holidays

Sorry for the lack of posting (I guess it's only been a couple of days but it feels longer)--i'm finally reading 2666 (which is awesome so far, in the literal sense) and it's like 800 pages long, plus thought-provoking, so it'll take me a few days to finish it. Plus I have to start packing for my exciting move this weekend.

Anyway, the usual Christmas season annoyance is upon me--I HATE being bombarded by a holiday I don't celebrate, and it's everywhere! The radio, tv movies, in stores, even in my office suite. I cannot escape. So I'm going to post lots of Hanukkah content in a paltry effort to combat the pervasive Christmas Spirit.

On that note, check out these awesome electric menorahs! Mine is clunky and ugly (unsurprisingly, the Menorah selection in north Florida is pretty poor--I got mine at Target a couple years ago as cats and fire seem like a bad combination) but these are gorgeous!

Also, the latest Bon Appetit has some great-sounding latke recipes, like these made with butternut squash and these cauliflower ones that make me almost want to break out my superannoying food processor.

And speaking of food--check out these pretty pretty Hanukkah cupcakes. I was so excited to see some Hanukkah content in my Google reader today!

Anyway--happy holidays! Especially, happy Hanukkah (it starts December 21st).

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Check out the excellent big band hanukkah album by Kenny Ellis, "Hanukkah Swings!" It's the only modern music I've ever played on my show.

Alicia K. said...

Ooh, that sounds AWESOME!!!

Sarah said...

I just discovered a couple of his songs on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpYZIktK2Yg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgMYkkiz-BA