Friday, March 06, 2009

who watches the watchmen?

I do! More specifically, I watched it at the midnight showing at the Lumina tonight, since Chapel Hill Comics was having an event there. I'm tired, so I'll jsut note a few general impressions and minor gripes:

--Minor gripe: The movie kept calling the group of heroes "The Watchmen", whcih they were never really called in the book--the book's title is metaphorical. Or am I misremembering? (A friend has my copy.)

--Minor gripe: The soundtrack was AWFUL. Erin said it sound like they compiled it a week ago. Like a cemetery scene has "Sound of Silence" playing. And an 80s scene has "99 Luftballoons". Most egregious was Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"--a very unsexy song--playing over a VERY VERY graphic sex scene. Yikes. On several levels.

--The movie was a lot gorier than I like--I hid my eyes a lot but the sounds were just as yucky.

--I liked it well enough. The consensus at the end seemed to be "It was good" with a shrug. Does that average out to a B? No idea if people who haven't read it will enjoy it--I think it was fairly coherent, especially compared to the source, but of course I was filling in all the holes as it went along. I should note that I'm not a die-hard fan of the book--I get why it was so ground-breaking, but I'm not bummed about changes the movie made or things it left out. If you're interested in spoiler-ridden comparisons, here's a handy guide.

4 comments:

Sociologian said...

At least Nena is era-appropriate! Was there any Devo? ha ha! I'm glad you didn't think it stunk.

Anonymous said...

The NY Times review is not too kind, but it is amusing. A. O. Scott shares your distaste for "Hallelujah" in the sex scene (and he hates the scene itself). I was going to say that I think the Jeff Buckley version of this song is quite sexy, but it still might not have worked in a movie scene.

Did you actually stay awake through the whole thing? I didn't know it was that LONG!

Alicia K. said...

Oh Minty, I HATED the sex scene too. I cringed the entire time. I love the song Hallelujah, but Leonard Cohen's version is extremely non-sexy. And I did stay awake--it moved quickly enough that I didn't even get sleepy.

Mike--No Devo, but there was some Hendrix.

christinamerge said...

Jared commented on the soundtrack, too.