Thursday, February 10, 2011

adorable outer space graphic novels

I'm trying to do a better job of keeping track of and talking about the graphic novels I read, so let me tell you about two of them that are slightly similar! The first is Dave Roman's Astronaut Academy, which is pretty much what it sounds like--a bunch of pre-teens in space, and it's adorable. It's all told in short pieces that focus on the different characters in turn, which makes for excellent world-building but a not entirely engaging story. But the cover is shiny, so yay!

There's also Ben Hatke's Zita the Spacegirl, which is about a girl who finds a mysterious device in a meteroite, presses the button, and opens up a portal that sucks in one of her friends. So of course she has to follow and rescue him, with the help of some awesome new friends (I especially liked the giant mouse). This is one of the cutest books I have ever seen--the art is GREAT--though the story sometimes moves more quickly than I'd have liked, but this is a kids' book and I think it works fine for that age level. Very highly recommended.

No comments: