Monday, February 14, 2011

partially read

Amanda Hocking's Switched
Some thoughts on this:
--Hocking is the author who's gotten a lot of press recently for self-publishing her books and selling thousands of copies of e-books.
--Because her books are self-published, they don't seem to be edited well, if at all. The writing is stiff and clumsy.
--Also, she puts apostrophes where they don't go. Like in "Kennedy's" when she means "Kennedys."
--This was an experiment in Kindle lending--my sister let me borrow it. Pretty cool system, I have to say.
--Unfortunately, I'm not into it at all. The story's all overwrought and predictable and melodramatic. I made it more than halfway through and realized I didn't care about any of the characters or what would happen to them.
--So, I'm going to go read something else.
--Thanks for the loan anyway, Jamie!

No comments: