Saturday, June 11, 2011

2011 book 145

Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This is one of those books that was just never on my radar--it came out when I was in college and wasn't reading YA--but this article about the filming of the movie version (starring Emma Watson) made me want to read it. I just love that he made the actors all get O-fries. Unfortunately I wasn't that into the book--the stilted style didn't work for me, and I thought the revelation at the end kind of cheapened things and I'm still not sure it made sense. It did make me nostalgic for Pittsburgh (I was a few years younger than the characters, but my friends and I totally went to Rocky too). And I loved the throwaway references to Penn State and sticky buns. Maybe this is one of those books you have to be a guy to really get. B.

No comments: