Wednesday, June 29, 2011

2011 book 164

Carolyn Cooke's Daughters of the Revolution
This is getting great reviews, but I have to say I wasn't really feeling it. It's described as like, how things change when an African-American girl becomes the first girl at a boys' private school, and I suppose that's technically true, but really it's just sort of about . . . change. In general. In the 60s up through the present, sort of. Told mostly from the POV of the old-school head of the boys' school, and the daughter of one of the alumni. I wish there had been more of the first girl in the school, as she's really the only likable character. Maybe the other characters are sort of likable, but we never get to know them; there's no resolution to any parts of their lives as the narrative keeps skipping forward in time. Basically, I didn't get this book at all and have no idea what it was trying to achieve, and there wasn't enough of a plot to keep me interested. B-.

No comments: