Tuesday, February 12, 2013

2012 book 53

Ruta Sepetys' Out of the Easy
Considering how much I enjoyed Sepetys' first book, and considering how much pre-publication buzz this has gotten, I am somewhat surprised to admit that I just wasn't really feeling it. It's the story of a teenage girl in 1950 New Orleans, the daughter of a prostitute, who becomes obsessed with escaping the city (and everyone who's mean to her) and attending Smith. There's also a murder, and a love-triangle-ish thing going on (though neither guy is particularly well-developed). The whole book is kind of gross and depressing (and normally I don't have a problem with depressing books), and kind of full of brothel stereotypes and predictable plot points. I also just didn't really feel for the protagonist, who certainly is in a situation not of her own making, but who is also kind of dumb about everything. B-.

No comments: