Friday, February 15, 2013

2013 book 55

Gillian Philip's Firebrand
I'm honestly not sure where to even start with this one! It's about a fairy boy, growing up in the fairy realm, caught up in fairy politics and battles. And then he and his brother get tangled up with people--which, considering it's the late 16th Century and witch-hunting is a popular pastime, might be a little bit dangerous. But mainly it's about fairy politics and battles. The main character is pretty great, and I love his relationship with his brother, and there are also some awesome wolf puppies. The gender stuff is pretty okay, though I wasn't particularly interested in the romance here, and there was a bit too much of the "if only I'd known" and "ah, but I'll get to that later"s in that regard. And the end was . . . I don't know. Interestingly, besides the fact that the characters live for hundreds of years (unless outright killed), it doesn't read like a story set in the fairy worlds at all. I also find it interesting that the series is called Rebel Angels, and look forward to seeing what happens next. B/B+.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on Tuesday.

No comments: