Wednesday, February 27, 2013

2013 book 67

Steph Cha's Follow Her Home
Our story begins when Juniper Song (GREAT name)--who loves Philip Marlowe to an almost bizarre extent--is asked by her best friend to find out whether or not a hot young girl is sleeping with his dad. Things quickly (too quickly) take a sinister, even Chandler-esque turn, leading to some of the most ridiculous plot points I have read in my life. And I'm pretty sure, now that I'm done, that the whole thing didn't even make any sense. There's also a whole subplot about Juniper's first investigation, involving her younger sister Iris, which was much more compelling. I have not really read much hard-boiled detective fiction--I think this falls under that category, but it was a little much for me. I did, however, like the examination of Asian womanhood that featured throughout. B/B-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in April.

No comments: