Thursday, February 21, 2013

2013 book 62

Kerry Greenwood's Murder on a Midsummer Night
Okay, I realize this is a silly nitpick, but isn't 1929 too early for "Friend of Dorothy" to be a phrase? The Wizard of Oz movie didn't come out till 1939. Surely there is a more historically accurate and yet non-offensive phrase to use to indicate that a character might be gay. None of which is really relevant in the 17th Phryne Fisher book, which has Phryne and company investigating two cases: an apparent suicide that might be murder, and whether or not a deceased woman had an illegitimate child over sixty years ago. These cases manage to touch on antiquities, Palestine, buried treasure, Shakespeare, and even more random stuff. I can't believe I have only two more of this series to read before I'm all caught up. At least I found out this week that there's a tv show, and thus my Phryne Fisher addiction will stay sated. B.

No comments: