Wednesday, June 05, 2013

2013 book 160

Marisha Pessl's Night Film
Pessl's long-awaited second novel is finally here and . . . it is weird. It's about a disgraced journalist who lost everything after accusing a reclusive filmmaker of nefarious acts--and now the filmmaker's talented daughter has committed suicide. He gets caught up in investigating again, with the aid of two young people who horn their way in. But soon things get, well, very weird, like I said. I really liked the concepts here, and the use of articles and medical information and stuff, and the end was well-done, but man, some of the weirdness was not really my thing. Though I think it does work thematically with the filmmaker's cult films being a major topic, I just personally found it a bit off-putting and very creepy at times. That may be a selling point for some people though! B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in August.

No comments: