Friday, June 14, 2013

2013 book 168

Penelope Farmer's Charlotte Sometimes
I don't know why I loved such old fashioned books in my childhood--though to be accurate, this book is only ten years older than I am, it's just that a chunk of it is set in 1918. (I googled to find out the year it was published, and man, googling this book was hard enough when there was just The Cure song to contend with [which is named for this book, btw], but now there is apparently also a musician called Charlotte Sometimes, and so you have to actually google "charlotte sometimes book" to get accurate results.) This is also one of those books that makes me cry every time I read it, even though I have read it countless times. But it's not really a typical books for kids--it's a weirdly poignant meditation on identity. With time travel. Apparently there are actually three books in this series, but the other two are long out of print. No matter--they could never live up to this one for me.

No comments: