Friday, June 07, 2013

2013 book 162

Karen Joy Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves
I think I've read all of Fowler's books, though they tend to be hit or miss for me. This one falls somewhere in the middle--I liked it a lot, but it made me feel really despondent. It's about Rosemary, a college student in the 90s, reflecting back on her childhood with her older brother (who she now hasn't seen in ten years) and her sister (who was sent away when they were five--I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the sister, Fern, [redacted because of accidental spoilers]). So Rosemary has some issues with interpersonal relations and dealing with her family. And everything with Fern just broke my heart, completely broke it. I don't know. This was really good, but just so depressing if you're at all interested in animal rights. B+.

2 comments:

Patty said...

Oh man, that is totally a spoiler, and I'm so glad I hadn't read your review before I read the book! I had avoided this detail somehow in the months since the book came out, and when faced with the reveal I actually went back and reread a bunch of parts to see the clues. I really liked the book, and Fowler's writing style. I will be seeking out her other books soon.

Alicia K. said...

Oh, I'm sorry!! I definitely read a review beforehand that mentioned it, but I guess it would read better not knowing.