Saturday, June 29, 2013

2013 book 180

Tom MacNeal's Far Far Away
I am actually crying a little as I type this, having just finished reading this book, which had me in buckets of tears at various points. Not that it's a YA weepie kind of story; it just gets very dark at points, and affecting at points, and . . . other things. I mean, it's a boy-meets-girl novel as narrated by the ghost of one of the Grimm brothers, who hangs out with the boy (the hilariously named Jeremy Johnson Johnson) since he can hear ghosts. And he tries to make the boy study so he can get into a good college, while protecting him from an unknown danger, and also the distraction of the girl (yeah, right). And it's a small town, and there are small town prejudices and lots of gossip! It's also a contemporary fairy tale, in a weird way. OK, this has all been kind of incoherent, but I really liked this, even if it did make me cry a lot. A/A-.

No comments: