Tuesday, February 11, 2014

2014 book 37

Jaclyn Moriarty's Feeling Sorry for Celia
First of all, I just want to thank Open Library for existing and having an e-book copy of this, unlike every other place in America. Thanks to them, I was able to go back and read the first of the Ashbury/Brookfield books, which has at its center two minor characters from the other one I read. And it was also completely delightful! It makes me sad that there are all these GREAT Australian YA authors who aren't very well-known here (and I would recommend Moriarty to fans of, say, Melina Marchetta's contemporary YA books). What other completely charming books am I missing out on??? Anyway, this one also has the pen pal project as the major plot point, only here our correspondents are two girls, so the focus is very much more on friendship than on romance (though obviously boys come up a fair bit, as they would in any straight teenage girl correspondence. And honestly, friendship was kind of the core of the other one, too). I could have done without the imaginary letters from various Societies of Teenagers or whatever, but UGH I love these. A/A-.

No comments: