Wednesday, February 12, 2014

2014 book 38

Jaclyn Moriarty's The Ghosts of Ashbury High
I was unable to track down an e-book version of the third book in the Ashbury/Brookfield series, so went ahead and read the fourth. I really don't think this one would make any sense without having read The Year of Secret Assignments first, since it picks up on the three girls' lives a couple of years later, as a pair of mysterious scholarship students come to school. This one took a lot longer for me to get into--I feel like Moriarty deals out Riley and Amelia's story too slowly, and all of the stuff with Toby's history assignment is a bit tedious at first (though I loved how everything came together at the end!). Also, the kids writing the stories they write for huge exams makes very little sense to me (aside from Toby). What the heck were they being graded on? They did not deserve passing grades. The earlier books, with the letter and diaries, worked better for me. Still, I did really like how thing wrapped up. B/B+.

No comments: