Thursday, May 12, 2016

2016 book 87

Meg Rosoff's Jonathan Unleashed
Rosoff's books are often a little bit off-kilter, and her first novel for adults is no exception. It centers on Jonathan, a young man in New York City working at a dumb job and in a mildly unfulfilling relationship. He also is the recent caretaker of his brother's two dogs, and kind of jokingly thinks they're running his life? This book was compulsively readable, but Jonathan is a certain kind of Nice Guy--he one hundred percent feels entitled to attention and affection from random women--and so I was never sure if I wanted to be rooting for him or not. I did like that there was a genderqueer character, though am not one hundred percent sure how I feel about the presentation of said character (magical genderqueer friend?). I guess I liked how it ended? GREAT dogs though, I was into these fictional dogs. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in July.

No comments: